The global shockwaves caused by the UK’s referendum vote to leave the European Union (aka “Brexit”) are still reverberating. To assist in guiding class discussions of why the vote went the way it did, we offer the following round-up of articles:
- Brexit: The story of an island apart This story, from the BBC’s Mark Mardell, explains the narrative of independent British identity that some aspects of British culture and politics nourish. And this map shows how the vote split geographically, showing a very divided country.
- Brexit: how a fringe idea took hold of the Tory party This Guardian article is more about the inner workings of Westminster-level politics, in particular the Conservative Party (also known as the Tory Party, which was its name until 1832).
- This 24-minute video from a University of Liverpool expert in EU law, and this article/video from CNN reporter Christiane Amanpour, talk about the truth or lack thereof of the Leave campaign, and of the media’s coverage of it. Lying about the EU is nothing new for the British tabloids; it’s been charted by The Economist based on data the EC has compiled:
- Continuing the theme that the media coverage was deficient, this opinion piece from the Institute for Fiscal Studies points out that economists utterly failed to make the consequences of a vote to leave clear to elites, let alone the general public.
- These two pieces, opinion A tragic split and blog post Chaos was predicted and chaos has ensued from The Economist touch on the economic effects of the Brexit vote for the UK, while Brexit and the making of a global crisis (paywall) from the Financial Times talks about the global implications.
- And finally, The UK’s EU referendum: All you need to know This is n FAQ from the BBC that answers questions that British citizens have asked following the vote.
Many commentators are making comparisons to the upcoming U.S. presidential elections — making a Venn diagram with your students would be one way to explore that.
Preview WorldView Software’s programs for free at http://www.worldviewsoftware.com/preview/